Sunday, February 7, 2010

Physical Therapy begins…again.

I saw the Doctor on Friday. They took x-rays and said everything still looked fine after walking on my foot for a week so the Doc gave me the okay to begin Physical Therapy on my right foot (to wean me off the walking boot/cast and strengthen my foot and ankle). I start PT tomorrow. I know from the last time that they will have me take off the boot to do the exercises in the gym…therefore I think it’s probably okay for me to take off the boot and start walking around the house (carefully). I started doing that last night and I’ve already graduated from having to hold onto Rex’s shoulder to being able to walk by myself…although I’m being very careful to avoid bending my ankle while I walk because I know from experience that bending the ankle is the most painful part in the beginning.

So, of course now I’m thinking that if I can walk around the house without my boot on, why can’t I take my boot off in the Hummer and drive and then just put it back on again before I get out?? I’m thinking this might work as long as my foot is strong enough to push down on the accelerator. So I’ve started working with the exercise band to strengthen the muscles that allow me to push down with my foot. I think I’ll give the exercises a week and then try driving. I’m really psyched about driving again!! And no, braking will not be a problem because I’ve always been a two-footed driver (I brake with my left foot). I know you technically aren’t supposed to drive that way but it was always more comfortable for me so it became a habit. That habit may pay off now! :)

48Bugs-Bunny

There’s a lot to be said for independence. I can’t wait to say “See ya suckers! I’m outta here!” and then jump in my Hummer and drive away. Okay, that’s a little dramatic, but I’ve been dreaming of driving for quite a while. LOL

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dana,

    It's good to see how well you're doing! That pain I had the first week I was walking without my boot is gone now! I think my physiotherapist was right, it was just the shock of walking on my foot again. It has stopped swelling now and the only pain I have really is in my achilies tendon, but this is more of a strain feeling because it's so tight. The physio is making a real difference though.

    I got a proposed date for my next op which is end of May. I am very disappointed as I really hoped to be back on both feet by the summer! The waiting list for orthapedic problems is awful at the moment. It is because we had such bad snow at the beginning of the year a lot of people have injured themselves. This has pushed back all the scheduled surgerys! I am a bit fed up that I have to wait so long and that I will be in a cast and boot just as the weather is getting warm. When I spoke to the people who deal with the bookings for appointments they just said that even though I have had one foot done that doesnt mean that I need the other one doing any time soon, I disagree but I guess it's not up to me. But I guess I just have to accept it and wait patiently! At the moment it feels weird walking around with 2 different feet, I feel quite off balance on the side that hasnt been operated on, it's quite frustrating! It's gonna be a long few months!

    Speak soon
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that your pain has gotten better and the PT is helping your foot. But it's too bad you have to be outta commission during the summer months for your other foot. I definitely can empathize with your problem of walking with two different feet...it can even be an issue with your shoes because my foot was longer after the surgery. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have a cancellation so you can get in sooner. But even if you have to wait, at least you'll have more time to get your first foot more fully recovered before you go back down. That was one problem I had. My foot wasn't quite completely healed when I went back in for the second foot and being off my feet for 6 weeks kinda set me back just a bit on the first foot. I'm having to work it in again to get the stiffness back out. But that's okay, the PT guy said we'd just work on both feet at the same time...it's a 2 for 1 special! LOL

    Have a great Valentine's Day!!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana,

    Just a quick message to let you know that I finally have my date for my second op, it's 5th May! I can't wait! I feel a lot more prepared this time as I know what to expect! My foot that i've had done is doing great now, i'm back at the gym and I have been doing a lot of waking. I still get stiffness in it and little twinges now and then but the strength and movement has improved so much!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear that your foot is doing better. Sounds like our recoveries are a lot alike...I just started taking my water aerobics classes again this week and I'm getting around really well. However, I still get stiffness and shoots of pain sometimes. My 1st foot has less trouble so I think it's just gonna take time. I'm also taking Osteo Bi-flex for my ankle joints. I've noticed quite a difference in my ankle joints as far as flexibility and stiffness since I started taking it.
    I'm glad you finally got your second surgery date. You must be so excited! I also felt a lot more prepared the second time around and my recovery seemed to go a little faster too. I hope you have the same luck. Keep me posted about how you're doing. Feel free to email me directly at shade91@mchsi.com so we can talk without the whole world reading. :)

    Dana

    ReplyDelete