Monday, January 4, 2010

Stitches are out…new cast is on.

I had my Dr. appt today. They took off the old cast and removed the stitches and STAPLES! Surprise again!!! This time the surprise was that I had staples in my heel. I asked why and the Dr. said there was a stapler handy, so he used it. I thought that was a pretty comical answer. I will say that the staples were much easier to remove. There was just a small pinching feeling when they were removed, much more pleasant than having the stitches removed. Although the guy who removed my stitches this time was much more gentle than the guy last time, he also did not put the iodine on the wounds so I didn’t have that intense burning feeling. All in all, things went much better this time. Rex took video of the stitches/staples removal but unfortunately the guy’s hands were in the way most of the time so you really can’t see much. Too bad…but we did get some pics of the stitches & staples before they were removed.

They gave me print outs of my x-rays again; you can actually see the staples in some of the x-rays. Otherwise, all the hardware seems to be the same and located in the same place.

My new cast is blue and much, much more comfortable than the one that was put on following the surgery. It’s not as thick or as long so it’s much lighter. The white things on my toes are steri-strips which hold the skin together so that the scars don’t widen following the stitches removal.

37newcast

I have to go back January 22nd to have the pins removed and the cast taken off. At that point I’m supposed to get to wear the walking boot, although I won’t be able to actually walk on it until January 28th.

GALLSTONES

Last Saturday I had a severe attack of nausea and pain in my stomach & chest that lasted for hours and ended up in the emergency room. Our first thought was that perhaps it was something I ate, then when the pain got worse we thought that maybe I’d developed a clot from the foot surgery…turns out that I have gallstones. The ER doc was pretty sure that I will need to have my gallbladder removed. I have an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow. What terrible timing my gallbladder has! It could’ve at least waited until I was able to walk! The only good thing is that I’m already off work, so if they do the surgery soon, I shouldn’t have to miss any additional work. I asked my husband if he wanted to trade me in…he said no but he might take me back and ask for a discount since I’m defective! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment