Monday, December 28, 2009

Cabin fever setting in.

Well, it’s been 12 days since the surgery and 11 days since I’ve been outside. I’m beginning to get a little bit of cabin fever. During my recovery last time, I was able to get outside within a week and make a few short trips to eat out and attend Mass. But the weather just isn’t cooperating this time…we’ve received several inches of snow since Christmas Day and there’s ice underneath the snow so it’s just not safe. I do have a doctor’s appt on Jan. 4th to get my stitches out so I’ll have to get out then. But my husband says he thinks he can clear the snow and ice enough to get me out before then if we can just get one good day of sunshine…we’ll have to see how that goes.

I’m definitely able to move around a little easier this time because I already know the best way to scoot around on the bed and drive around on the knee scooter. However, I’m having more trouble with pain and discomfort in the upright position for some reason. I can only sit up in the bed or in a chair for a short period of time (an hour or so) before I begin getting uncomfortable. Therefore I spend quite a bit of time laying in the bed on my side. So I guess I wouldn’t be able to stay out too long even if I could get out of the house! LOL I’m not sure why it’s more comfortable to have my foot laying on it’s side rather than upright on the heel because the pain isn’t coming from the heel, it comes mostly from the toes. Another unsolved mystery, I guess.

I’m sure we all love the anti-embolism stockings that the doctors make us wear…NOT! They are so old lady looking, not to mention…SLICK! This is why they also give you those terrible slipper socks to wear so you won’t fall down. There’s not much that can be done about the stockings because we want to avoid blood clots and strokes but there is definitely something we can do about those horrible slipper socks. I received two pairs of a different type of slipper for Christmas and they are awesome! They’re almost a cross between a slipper and a slipper sock. They are stretchy and soft (one size fits most) with a non-slip bottom and come in a variety of fun colors. They’re called “Fuzzy Footies” and are available online as well as in some Hallmark stores (which is where mine were purchased) and some hospital gift shops. They are definitely worth checking out if you want to avoid the ugly slipper socks the hospital provides to you, while still having the safety of a non-slip sole.
27slippers 26slippers

No comments:

Post a Comment