Friday, September 10, 2010

Surgery went very well.

My surgery went very well this morning. It was relatively quick and I had no reactions to the medications, etc which is always great! Since it was a relatively quick surgery the anesthesiologist wanted to just put me out but I really wanted spinal anesthesia so that I wouldn’t have any worries with waking up or nausea, he eventually agreed to do the spinal. I’m so glad. I was wide awake during the surgery (I could hear all the drilling, etc but it didn’t bother me) and the only issue I had was severe shivering. But I wasn’t really that cold, likely it was caused by the spinal…that can happen some times. I was able to chit-chat with the anesthesiologist and listen to the doctors and nurses chatting about their weekend plans.

I was feeling so good that I was able to drink water and eat animal cookies in the recovery room. Once they got me back to the normal room, I was ready to get up and try walking within an hour. The anesthesiologist walked by just as I was getting up and said “she’s up already?”.

So far, I have no trouble walking on the foot, it feels just fine with the exception of some pain in the 1st toe. The surgeon gave me a nerve block in both toes but the one in the 1st toe only took partially for some reason. So I had to ask for a pain pill before I left. But the pain hasn’t been that bad since the nerve block fully worked in the 2nd toe and partially worked in the 1st toe. I expect to be a bit more uncomfortable tomorrow after both nerve blocks have worn off fully.

At my last appointment the surgeon said he wished he had thought to take before and after pictures since my feet were so bad before the first surgery. So when I arrived this morning I brought him two before and after pictures. He seemed very pleased. He was showing them to the nurses and the anesthesiologist, showing off his handiwork. LOL He really did do an awesome job, the before and after pics don’t even look like they are from the same person.

If you’re wondering what the plastic tubing and plastic sheet is over me in the pics below…it’s called a “Bair Hugger”. Warm air comes through the big white plastic tube and fills the pockets in the plastic sheet. Keeps you very warm during surgery and recovery.

I hope this post makes sense…I’m a little hopped up on Vicodin right now. LOL

PostOp1 PostOp3 PostOp4 PostOp6 PostOp7 PostOp9

No comments:

Post a Comment