Monday, August 16, 2010

Mallet toe complication.

Well, it’s nearly been a year since my first foot surgery and I’ve been doing quite well. My balance is better and my walking gait is much smoother. But I’ve had some issues with pain in two toes on my right foot. The two toes in question began bending down not long after the pins came out. It’s the end joints that are causing the problem now not the joints that were fused with surgery. Thankfully only two toes are involved. I tried to be patient, hoping that things might get better with time but instead they got worse with the two toes hurting more and more as time went on. I finally went back to the doctor the other day and he said those two toes have become “mallet” toes.

So….I have to do one more surgery on the end joint of those two toes to fuse the bones. My surgery is scheduled for September 10th. It’s an 1130am surgery so I should be starving by the time they take me in…LOL.

The worst part of the whole thing is that it’s my right foot, which means that I won’t be able to drive for 5 weeks until the pins come out. So once again I’ll be dependant on others to drive me to work and whatnot. It’s supposed to be a fairly simple surgery and I’m not supposed to have to miss more than a couple days of work. If it wasn’t for the driving ban it would be a walk in the park.

Here’s a few different views of the toes, you can see the problem pretty easily.

CIMG3773 CIMG3782

CIMG3785

Hopefully this will be the last problem with my feet. But I’m realistic enough to realize it may not be. My feet aren’t normal and that’s something that I just have to live with. At least this will solve the pain issue and right now that’s all I’m concerned about.

I’ll post again after the surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment